CANIM was originally powered by 150hp diesel engines from Washington Iron Works. In 1980, under a refit by Gary Norton, two cubic inch 325 Cummins diesels engines were installed with 3:1 reduction gears. . The engines turn two 40” diameter 3-bladed propellers at 1625 rpm while cruising.
The main fuel tanks hold 2,400 gallons of diesel, and fuel consumption is 11 gal/hr @1450rpm (10 kts) and 18 gal/hr @ 1750 (12kts). Safe range is 1500 nautical miles.
Multilevel fuel polishing and filtration systems are in place, with Murphy panels and digital readouts on the bridge.